What is a slip solution, and is it applicable to your nails?
Let’s shed more light on this topic.
In this post, we will identify all you need about this well-known nail product. We shall look at using it with polygel, its importance, and the alternatives you can use.
Are you looking for a short answer to what is a slip solution?
Polygel slip solution refers to liquid thinner used to apply polygel products. You apply it by dipping your brush into the solution, making it easy to sculpt nails to suit your desired results. The main component of this product is ethyl acetate or alcohol. Both of these products are solvents. However, there are various alternatives to using slip solutions. These include acetone-free nail polish, gel base coat, and rubbing alcohol.
Now that you know what is, let us move on to other equally important topics.
What is Slip Solution, and How Does it Work?
So, what is slip solution used for?
It refers to a solvent with the same properties as a thinner.
You may have noticed the gloopy and thick substance produced when you squeeze polygel bottles. Well, it’s what people refer to as a Slip Solution.
Generally, the solution helps improve the consistency and density of the polygel. The solution gives it a thinning effect, making the polygel easy for nail product application.
The slip solution does not break down the polygel to the point that it can cause damage to the nail. Instead, it works in the same way as a monomer that you would find in acrylics. The significant variation between a monomer vs. slip solution relates to the smell.
The monomer in acrylics has an unusual smell, but that of slip solution is almost undetectable. Some brand makers of this solution even incorporate their products with improved scents. Using slip solution helps make the gel manicure application process simple.
What Is a Slip Solution Made Of?
The specific ingredients in any slip solution relate to the brand or product type you selected.
But, the main ingredient in slip solution is usually either Isopropyl alcohol or Isobutyl Acetate. The other key ingredient in slip solution is the ingredient Ethyl acetate. Usually, a slip solution won’t cause any allergic reactions on the skin.
It’s also easy to find a slip solution that is chemical free if you have nail health concerns. Can I use water as a slip solution for polygel? No, it’s not possible to use water as a slip solution. Instead, you should settle for an alcohol-based product alternative.
Using Polygel Solution Correctly
Here is a step step step guide that you use for applying polygel solution the right way:
- Put a small amount of the slip solution in a small dish or glass.
- Then, squeeze the polygel tube until you come across a blob sitting on top which meets your size needs.
- Get the spatula end of your application tool, and use it to set the gel on a nail plate or dual form.
- Clean the spatula, then dip the brush end of your tool into some slip solution. You can add some more liquid slowly until you achieve the right consistency level.
- Get a wet brush, and sculpt your nail until it achieves the thickness and shape you prefer.
- Once the solution evaporates (it often takes a few seconds), cure your nails.
How to Prep DIY Polygel Slip Solution
Is it possible to prepare your polygel slip solution?
Yes, it’s possible to do so, and here is how to do it.
Items You Need
- 1 cup of water.
- Two tablespoons of dish soap.
- Four tablespoons of vegetable glycerin.
How to Prepare It
- Mix dish soap, water, and some glycerin in a bowl.
- Transfer the solution into a container or glass bottle that has a lid.
- Shake it up well before using it once again.
PRO TIP! Remember that water will take longer than alcohol to evaporate.
What is the Alternative to Slip Solution
If you don’t have a slip solution, there are various other alternatives you can use.
- Alcohol. It is the main ingredient in slip solutions, making it perfect as an alternative product (some vodka should do the trick.)
- Acetone. Sadly, acetone is the product you use to remove polygel. So, “AVOID” it because it can leave you with a runny mess.
- Nail polish remover. Sadly, nail polish remover contains acetone. Thus, it’s not practical as an alternative for a slip solution.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Slip Solution Just Alcohol?
Rubbing alcohol is the main component in a slip solution. So, it’s also an ingredient you can use as an alternative to a slip solution. However, you must use the right slip solution product to suit your polygel nails.
Is Slip Solution the Same as Nail Polish Remover?
No, slip solution is not the same as nail polish remover. Slip solution contains ingredients that help make it easy to shape polygel nails. However, nail polish removers contain acetone which can break down the nail products.
Is Slip Solution the Same as Acrylic Liquid?
No, a slip solution is not the same as an acrylic liquid. The reason is that slip is not a monomer and contains no active ingredients. Unlike acrylic monomers, slip solution has a pleasant fragrance.
What Is Slip Solution for Polygel Nails Made Of?
Slip solution uses two main ingredients: Isobutyl Acetate and Isopropyl Alchohol. But, the specific ingredients in different brands often vary. You may have to consult with different brands for more information.
Can Base Coat Be Used as Slip Solution?
A gel base coat has a transparent appearance and a watery consistency. Thus, this means that you can use it as a substitute for using slip solution. It is also applicable as a regular slip solution but requires caution.
Slip solution is an essential resource for applying polygel products. However, there are various other alternatives. You must also use this product correctly for the best consistency and application results.
- Is Shea Moisture Good for Curly Hair? [5 Secrets Revealed!] - October 2, 2023
- Tame Your Curls: Is Pomade Good for Curly Hair? - September 26, 2023
- Is Hair Food Good For Your Hair? What Do You Think? - September 25, 2023